Housing Resources

COVID-19 Information and Resources Learn More

On September 1, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a Temporary Halt in Residential Evictions to Prevent the Further Spread of COVID-19 (the Order). The Order imposes a temporary national moratorium on most evictions for nonpayment of rent to help prevent the spread of coronavirus. The Order applies to all standard rental housing, including mobile homes or land in a mobile home park. However, it does not cover individuals renting hotels, motels, or other guest homes rented temporarily. The Order takes effect September 4, 2020, and lasts until March 31, 2021.

A complete list of qualifications can be found on the National Low Income Housing Coalition website along with more details about the Order. If you meet all of the qualifications, you must submit a signed declaration to your landlord. Download an unsigned declaration in English on the CDC website or a declaration in one of 20 other languages on the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development website.

Rental Assistance

Rental Assistance Options – You may be eligible for rental payment assistance. If you need help finding resources to pay unpaid rent, call 2-1-1 or visit our listing of rental assistance resources on 211Arizona.org to see if your local jurisdiction or service organizations have established rental assistance programs. You can also find a list of COVID-19 specific rental assistance and eviction prevention programs on the Arizona Housing Coalition website.

Find Resources

Mortgage Assistance

Save Our Home AZ – Offers Principal Reduction Assistance, Monthly Mortgage Subsidy Assistance for under and unemployed Arizonans and Second Lien Elimination Assistance to qualified Arizona homeowners. Take this Program Qualification Self-Assessment.

CARES ACT Mortgage Forbearance – Forbearance is when your mortgage servicer (that’s the company that sends your mortgage statement and manages your loan) or lender allows you to pause or reduce your payments for a limited period of time. The CARES Act offers protections for federally-backed and GSE-backed (Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac) mortgages.

  • If you have a federally-backed loan, the lender or loan servicer cannot foreclose until after March 31, 2021.
  • Fannie Mae- and Freddie Mac-backed loans cannot be foreclosed until after February 28, 2021.
  • To check if your loan is federally-backed, please visit one of these sites:
  • If you are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19, you have the right to request and obtain a forbearance for up to 180 days. You also have the right to request an extension for up to an additional 180 days.
  • Homeowners who are suffering financial hardship, directly or indirectly related to COVID-19, should contact their servicer to request a forbearance.

Financial counseling – Financial counseling can help you avoid foreclosure or bankruptcy. If needed, consider contacting a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) approved housing counseling agency to learn more about options that are available to you. To find your local housing counseling agency, call the Arizona Mortgage Foreclosure Help Line at (1-877-448-1211) or visit HUD Office of Housing Counseling.

Utility Assistance

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, various cities and companies suspended utility shut-offs in an effort to help struggling residents. Now, as shut-offs are beginning to resume, residents are being encouraged to seek financial assistance or work with their utility company to develop a payment plan if they are unable to pay their bills.

Contact your utility company as soon as possible if you anticipate being unable to pay your bill for any reason. Your utility company will walk you through available assistance options such as setting up a payment plan, applying to one of their programs, or applying for aid through a local agency.

If your utility company is unable to provide an option that works for you, you can contact a nonprofit agency or city program that offers utility assistance. Visit 211Arizona.org for a list of utility assistance programs, or call 2-1-1 to get connected with your local utility assistance program.

Find Resources

Water services are controlled by the city that you live in. Some cities, districts, and municipalities have issued their own moratoriums that temporarily suspend water disconnections for nonpayment, however, customers may continue to accrue charges for water, reclaimed water, sewer, and solid waste services. If you need assistance paying your water bill, contact your city, district, or municipality’s water services department as soon as possible to determine if there is a local moratorium in place, or to discuss flexible payment options. Customers can also call 2-1-1 for local agencies that may be able to offer assistance.

Information and Referral Links for Utilities and Emergency Shelter

Please make sure to call all programs ahead of time, even when they list their locations to ensure they are open. You can sort results by city or ZIP Code.

Utilities   Emergency Homeless Shelter

* Domestic Violence Shelter   * Domestic Violence Hotlines

* This resource should be used if you are currently in a safe place. If you are in danger, please call 9-1-1.

Information for Pet Owners

Pet owners impacted by the COVID-19 housing crisis can visit PetHousingHelpAZ.org for resources to help care for your pet, including shelters and temporary housing, low-cost veterinary services, and pet food assistance.

In addition to these resources, PetHousingHelpAZ.org can connect pet parents in need of help directly with other valley residents to rehome or temporarily foster their pet.

Additional Resources

The Unpaid Rent Accommodation Request Generator allows you to ask for more time to pay rent, delay an eviction, or even forgive past rent if you or someone in the house has lost a job because of COVID-19, lost income because of COVID-19, or if losing a job or income is making someone in the household’s mental health worse. This tool lets you use the protections of federal civil rights laws to ask for more time. Click here to access the request generator.

Can’t find what you need?

Do an advanced search or dial 2-1-1.
Dial 2-1-1